HOSA-Future Health Professionals conducted the 44th Annual Virtual International Leadership Conference (VILC) with 9,500 members, advisors, judges, and guests on June 23-26, 2021. HOSA was represented by 54 chartered associations including competitors from Korea, Canada, and China! HOSA members had the opportunity to participate and to be recognized for their commitment to becoming compassionate, caring, knowledgeable, and skilled healthcare professionals.
The International Executive Council led the 44th Annual International Leadership Conference with heart, creativity, and excellence. A special thanks to the International President Jake Kelly for outstanding service. Be sure to watch HOSA’s Tribute to the 2020-2021 International Executive Council. Link:
VILC highlights included:
- 82 health-related competitive events with 45 live competitions
- 80 educational seminars and workshops including 40 live workshops
- 85 exhibitors
- and keynote speakers, John O’Leary, Inspirational Speaker, and Christina Wells, RN and America’s Got Talent Finalist.
HOSA Scholarship Program. HOSA-Future Health Professionals honored 73 outstanding HOSA members, represented by 23 sponsors, with scholarships totaling $85,500. In addition, the U.S. Army presented 27 scholarships to HOSA members totaling $3,225,232. State associations provided HOSA members with $2,776,830 in scholarships. Because of exceptional partner relationships, the total value of scholarships presented to members of HOSA-Future Health Professionals in 2020-2021 was $6,002,062. Scholarship List.
2021-2022 International Executive Council. During the annual Business Session, the voting delegates elected eight knowledgeable and eager HOSA leaders to serve on the Executive Council.
- President – Sricharan Pusala (FL)
- President-Elect – Kartik Tyagi (NC)
- Postsecondary/Collegiate Vice President – Akash Kotian (NJ)
- Eastern Region Vice President – Angelina Yu (NJ)
- Central Region Vice President – Hannah Eckstein (KS)
- Western Region Vice President – Tom Punnen (TX)
- Secondary Board Representative – Mielad Ziaee (TX)
- Postsecondary/Collegiate Board Representative – Alekhya Kondragunta (OH)
HOSA, Inc. Board of Directors. The HOSA, Inc. Board of Directors elected eight new members to the HOSA, Inc. Board of Directors who will meet on Saturday, February 4, 2022, in Grapevine, Texas:
- Western Region – State Advisor: Cindy Beck
- Eastern Region – State Advisor: Loretta Thompson
- HSE Supervisor/Teacher Educator Representative: Aden Ramirez
- Health Industry Board Representative: Michael J. Manyak, MD
- Health Industry Board Representative: Marcus Henderson
- HOSA Alumni Representative: Kelly R. Kelly, LVN, BHA
- HOSA Alumni Representative: Heath Treadway
- HOSA Alumni Representative: William-Bernard Reid-Varley, MD, MPH
Congratulations to all HOSA Special Award Honorees
Honorary Life Members
- Jason Huff, Immediate Past HOSA, Inc. Board Chair
- Elizabeth Bullock, Kentucky HOSA
- Randi Hunewill, Nevada HOSA
Educational Excellence Award
- Karen Rossetter, Ohio HOSA
- Jacquelyn Smith, MSN, FNP-C, Alabama HOSA
Distinguished Alumni Service Award
- Salil Deshpande, M.D., MBA, Texas HOSA
- David Kelley, M.D., Oklahoma HOSA
- Bristol Myers Squibb, BMS CLIMB, New Jersey HOSA
- Jill Williams, Missouri HOSA
HOSA Hero Award
- Julia Lewis, Oklahoma HOSA
- Olivia Young, Georgia HOSA
HOSA Hall of Fame
- State Advisor: Cindy Beck, California HOSA
- Local Advisor: Mary Dermit, Iowa HOSA; Kathy Jones, Virginia HOSA; Carie Staub, Idaho HOSA
- Alumni: Marko Mijic
- Healthy Industry Partner: Collene Bay-Andersen, University of Phoenix
Leadership in Collaboration
- Kristin Morgan, DNP, ARNC, Georgia HOSA
HOSA Above & Beyond Award
- Carole Ray, Georgia HOSA
- Noah Mutter-Schulz, Wisconsin HOSA
Goodheart-Willcox Outstanding Service Award Recipients
HOSA’s thanks to Goodheart-Willcox for their support of HOSA’s Outstanding Service Award recognizing one local HOSA chapter advisor from each HOSA region. Congratulations to this year’s recipients:
- Kathy Jones, Chesapeake Career Center, Virginia HOSA
- Mark Grigsby, Ben W. Hooper CTE Center, Cocke County High School, Tennessee HOSA
- Michelle Dawson, Bonneville High School, Utah HOSA
This year 9,979 competitors competed in 82 competitive events demonstrating competencies developed through Health Science and Biomedical Science class instruction, technical training, and HOSA activities. HOSA congratulates all middle school, secondary, and postsecondary/ collegiate winners in this year’s competitive events program.
Special thanks to Anatomage, SIMTICS and Body Interact for being part of HOSA’s competitive events program!
All VILC certificates are downloadable this year and can be found here.
If you are a Top Ten Finalist and wish to receive a Top Ten Finalist Pin, please email your name, home address including city, state and zip, and event to email@example.com. A Finalist pin will be mailed to verified winners.
HOSA members who registered for the virtual conference will be mailed their recognition pin if they (1) registered for Virtual ILC; (2) send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, chapter charter number, and home address. Pins will be mailed upon verification of VILC registration and recognition hours/dollars.
Leaderboard Competition Winners
The four highest-scoring delegates received a $150 Amazon Gift Card
- Maria Alvero (347,070 points), New Jersey HOSA
- Vishnu Srinivasan (330,250 points), Illinois HOSA
- Ellie Tam (310,620 points), Colorado HOSA
- Archita Amudhan (271,290), Texas HOSA
Four delegates who scored at least 18,000 points were randomly selected to receive a $50 Amazon Gift Card.
- Bernadette Galvan, California HOSA
- Kailee Billock, Michigan HOSA
- Olivia Allen, South Dakota HOSA
- Katherine Chen, New Jersey HOSA
MindTap Scholarship Simulation Winners
$2,000 Academic Scholarship – Derick Truong, Univ. of AZ
$1,000 Scholarship – MindTap Scavenger Hunt Student, Angelina Marranzini, Silva Health Magnet High School
$1,000 Scholarship – MindTap Scavenger Hunt Student, Sneha Jobby, Hightower High School 2106
$1,000 Award – MindTap Scavenger Hunt Advisor, Maryland HOSA
$1,000 Award – MindTap Scavenger Hunt Advisor, 50803-Tulsa Tech OEP Bowden, Stacia Bowden, Tulsa, Oklahoma
Bristol Myers Squibb
As part of HOSA’s VILC BMS gamification, 200 HOSA members that visited the Bristol Myers Squibb booth were randomly chosen as a winner of a $10 Amazon gift card. Bristol Myers Squibb was truly inspired by those with whom they interacted and hope to help each on their continued journey to a healthcare professional. The winners were notified via email so check your email!